The Government of Canada has a long history of cooperation with international counterparts and organizations. Our engagements have taken many forms ranging from informal information exchanges to multilateral harmonization initiatives.
We are involved internationally as a means of actively:
- Addressing the challenges of globalization and new technologies.
- Ensuring application of sound regulatory practices and standards which are consistent whenever possible with international norms.
- Leveraging resources and knowledge.
- Reducing risks.
- Strengthening and facilitating existing mutual cooperation with international jurisdictions in scientific and regulatory areas.
- Working on research and development projects.
Strong relations and dialogue with international counterparts are also important in achieving program objectives in an increasingly complex regulatory world.
- Canada's bilateral relations with, and our activities and services in countries around the world
- International Activities of Environment Canada
- International Activities of Health Canada
- International Activities of Industry Canada
- Canada's participation in international science and technology
A number of Canada's international partners, such as the governments of the United States, the United Kingdom and the European Union also sponsor national institutes working towards the responsible development of nanotechnology.
National Nanotechnology Strategy
Institute of Nanotechnology (UK)
Food and Drug Administration
National Nanotechnology Initiative
International Policy Collaboration:
There are a growing number of intergovernmental and other international forums concerned with the responsible development and application of nanotechnology. These forums offer valuable opportunities for countries to engage in policy dialogue and leverage resources to address issues of common interest. They also foster opportunities for the harmonization of national policy approaches, where appropriate. Listed here are some of the key forums that Canada is involved in which deal with nanotechnology issues related to research, innovation, and commercialization.
Industry Standards Organization, Technical Committee 229 (ISO TC229)
International Council on Nanotechnology
OECD Working Party on Nanotechnology
Oganization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Safety of Manufactured Nanomaterials
Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Science and Technology Policy
World Health Organization
- Date Modified: